EXPOSED – Secrets of an Art Rep – Suzanne Schultz – Calm in the Chaos
Today I am sitting in my gallery looking at the work of artist Joel Van Patten and thinking about the title of his show, “Calm in the Chaos”. This pandemic is like nothing we have ever seen in our lifetime. It has an impact on every aspect of our lives and has affected our communities, businesses and even our sense of well-being.
For example, even simple daily pacifiers, like going for coffee, shopping for art supplies or going to a museum were not options for months and some still are not. How do we manage our thoughts when there is no escape from them? How do we bring them under control and make them work for us, and not against us?
Finding the calm in a chaotic time is a choice we make. How can we use this time to make life better? One way is to reevaluate things in our lives both professionally and personally.
Here are 5 ideas to get back on track and stay focused:
1. Create a new business plan. The world will never be quite the same. This is a great time to be creative and get ahead of the crowd. Just because something worked in the past does not mean it is the best way to move forward.
2. Learn ZOOM. It is an incredible way to stay connected with clients and grow your audience in a way that is not possible “in person”. This is an example of an opportunity that this environment brings to reach even more people from your studio.
3. Learn online. Perhaps it is time to learn a new painting technique, learn to make your own frames or even new computer skills.
4. Improve your social media platforms. Be strategic in your posting and even MORE strategic in your connections.
5. Look online. Look for shows, press, or podcasts you can remotely participate in as a guest, and any way to improve your presence as an artist.
I am told that the Chinese word for chaos also means opportunity. The choice of definition is yours today. I hope you will find “Calm in the Chaos.” and take advantage of this opportunity to make your life and business better.
- Suzanne Schultz is syndicated through the following publications: It’s All About Arts and Art and 511 Magazine